About Us

My photo
We have 13 beatiful grandchildren and 9 wonderful children, not to mention 3 beautiful daughter in laws and 4 brilliant son in laws. Our family is our priority, even far far away, we keep tabs on all of them. We are now living our dream, serving our mission in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Good Samaratan

THE GOOD SMARATAN Sunday, February 01, 2009We had an interesting experience this morning in 1st branch. We walked as usual and as we entered the branch compound we saw an obviously American little gal. We went up, introduced ourselves and found out she was a returned missionary. She introduced us to two other little gals that were with her, all from Utah just touring South East Asia. They had been to Thailand, Laos, Viet Nam and now they were concluding their tour in Cambodia. This was the first Sunday of their tour that they were able to attend church. As they traveled in Viet Nam last week they ran into a guy from Australia who seemed to have changed his travel itinerary to be with them. He was also with them in church this morning. His name is Josh but he seemed to be more interested in the one cute little gal from BYU than anything the church had to offer but I got them all a translator for Sacrament Meeting and then I thought, "We'll see how this goes". It was Fast Sunday and I bore my testimony in Khmei. I felt a very sweet spirit. The language is coming slowly but it is coming. I am just falling in love with these people and the more I am here, the more it seems we have to offer them in terms of strength, leadership, doctrinal power, and just charitable love. I can see the Lord's hand in guiding us here. Yes, I suppose we would be useful wherever we were sent but there is just something about this land that fills my heart with the precious spirit of the Savior. At the end of every day as I reflect on the experiences we had during the day I say to myself, "I walked today where Jesus walked". I believe I feel daily some of the very things He felt during His mission in Jerusalem. These feelings are poignant and powerful—a combination of love, compassion and heart-ache for these precious people who are struggling to simply exist. For example, as we were walking home from church today we passed a little fellow lying on the dirty side of a busy street. He must have been 12 years old. He was asleep. It looked like he had been abused and dumped there. My heart just broke and I wanted so much to stop, pick him up, feed him, clean him and comfort him. I thought, "Here is a child of God laying here in this filth". I remembered the parable of the "good Samaritan". Do I just pass on the other side of the road? Then I remembered the strict counsel given us by our Mission President; "You will see things that will break your heart but do not give money or relief of any kind. By so doing you can get yourself and the church in big trouble". He is right, evil men are often watching to see if they can catch us, as missionaries meddling in their personal affairs. So we continued down the street but I will never be the same because of those feelings I had. I will work my heart out to bless this nation with the Gospel for that is the only thing, and the best thing, that we can do to lift them up and relieve the suffering. Well, back to Josh. As I was sitting in Sacrament meeting I thought that it might be good if I just took those 4 English speaking tourists and teach them a Sunday school lesson myself—I was mainly thinking of Josh, the non-member. I began to think in my mind what I would teach. Yes, I would teach the pattern of apostasy throughout the ages and then highlight the Great Apostasy which would then lead into the restoration of all things through the Prophet Joseph Smith. After Sacrament Meeting I got permission from the Branch President to teach—he was delighted that I would do that—and we all went upstairs to an empty class room. It was great. I was able to teach someone and they understood what I was saying because I taught in English to English speaking people. It was great! You don't know my frustration at having all this vast amount of knowledge and vision and I can't say a word to anyone. I'm sure that Uncle Lee would wish that I would forget how to speak English so I would quit philosophizing and trying to get him to have "vision" as I have "vision". But, anyway, it was great to teach this young Australian the truths of the Gospel and bear testimony of their truthfulness. The foundation was laid and hopefully he will some day in the future let the missionaries teach him. I told him to "let them in" the next time they're at his door in Australia. I hope he does. Well, this has been a typical Sunday in our mission. We love you all very much and keep praying for us. Love Dad

No comments: