About Us

My photo
We have 13 beatiful grandchildren and 9 wonderful children, not to mention 3 beautiful daughter in laws and 4 brilliant son in laws. Our family is our priority, even far far away, we keep tabs on all of them. We are now living our dream, serving our mission in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

Friday, February 6, 2009

Forward from Stevie

Here is the last letter from Stevie--still in Chicago.
---------- Forwarded message ----------From: Stephen Nelson <s.nelson@myldsmail.net>Date: Feb 5, 2009 2:25 AMSubject: Still WaitingTo: powettchie@gmail.com
Howdy Mom and Dad! (and anyone else who might be reading this)Well, as you can see from the subject of this letter, I'm still waiting for my Visa. Yesterday was the day they said to start expecting it, so I'm hoping that it will come before the week is through. Life here in Elgin is interesting. We talk to alot of interesting people, some are alot nicer than others. Last Sat. we tracted into a man that reminded me of Nathan alot. He was an Electrial Engineer (and obviously very Bright) with a little family (two kids and one on the way) he was one of the kindest men I have talked to since I got here. When he answered the door he had a "Cars" sticker on his cheek from playing with his kids, and he invited us right in and talked to us a bit. My first impression was that he would be receptive to our message, But after we told him who we were and a little bit about the church, he very nicely explined that he didn't believe that there was a God. Then he talked about some College classes he took, and he didn't feel that the "Spiritual" side of religion was physically possiable. he said that he teaches his kids good values like not drinking and getting married, but he didint feel that religion was needed. It broke my heart. he would have been perfect for the gospel, but was hung up on something as dumb as "I don't see how it's physically possiable". It really reminded me of the Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis, and how Satan will use anything he can to keep you from finding the truth, or if you have found it, to keep you away from it. It hurts me to even think about it.Well, other than that, i'm just fighting the temptation to become impatient, and discouraged about my visa. I don't understand why I've been delayed, but I know that the Lord has his reasons and I'll go where he wants me to go. That having been said, I REALLY wish I was in Mongolia! I practice my Mongolian quite a bit every day, but it's difficult when all I have are the standard works in Mongolian,a small grammer book that doesn't always make sence, and a pocket dictionary (and half the words in it are incorrect) I can't really start learning unless I'm around the language and people that speak it.I enjoyed the story about the Chineese New Year. In Mongolia they have a New Year that's on Feb. 25th this year, and for a couple of days the missionaries get to dress up in traditional Mongolian clothes and go around visiting members and Eating alot of food. I'm looking forward to that (assuming I ever make it to Mongolia!) Honestly I'm so used to WAITING to go to Mongolia (since June 10th) I don't know what I'll do when they actually let me go! But I know I'll be leaving soon.In reguards to the monks with the clay pots, and the woman trying to give you money, here is another possiability; I know that in Mongolia the people go to buddist temples a few times a year and PAY the Monks to say a prayer for them and their family. It might have been that she wanted you to pray for her, which thankfully we know you can still do even without her money.Well, other than that, I'm not sure if there's anything else to say. we just got back from giving a blessing to a Lady in the Hospitle, which was a neat experience. My companion and I get along well enough, although there are a few things I wish we did a little differently. However, I am the jr. companion, and this isn't even my mission really, so I just follow. It's no big deal any how.Last sunday we were out tracting and to our great suprise discovered that it was super bowl sunday! not a very sucessful night to say the least. Missionaries really are quite oblivious to what's going on in the world around them.Well, I love you both so much, and miss you. I'm also a little jealous of the neat missionary experiences you're having in Cambodia. Maybe in Mongolia I'll get some stories that can rivel yours! Keep up the good work.Love-Elder Stevie

No comments: